วันพุธที่ 7 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2552

Choosing a Dog

Look in Dog Magazines and if you can go to dog shows and talk to the owners of the breeds that interest you. Read up on the breed you like on the internet or buy books about the breed.....

Choosing a Dog

I want to get a dog First of all please ask yourself these questions and answer honestly. Do I have the time and the patience to give to a demanding animal? Will I walk a dog every single day no matter how bad the weather or how tired I am? Do the other people with whom I live also want a dog? Am I prepared for the mess a dog can make remembering that dog’s moult and have four paws that can bring a lot of dirt into your house.


Do I know what a dog will expect from me and what do I expect to get from the dog? Do I know what breed of dog I want and have I done any research on this? If I want a puppy am I aware of just how much hard work is involved in house training a it? Am I prepared for the chewing and the peeing and the pooing? Do I want to get a rescue dog and am I prepared for the possible problems a dog which may have had a difficult life may have? Am I prepared to spend hours training a dog? If you can answer yes to the questions then let’s think about the dog for you.

A dog can be a wonderful companion but it can also be a real nuisance. No dog will be perfect without input from the owner.

If you think that you have the time and patience to train a puppy and are at home for at least half of each day then the next step is to decide upon the breed. Do not imagine that a smaller breed will need less exercise. All dogs need exercise and training whether it is Chihuahua or a Great Dane.

Look in Dog Magazines and if you can go to dog shows and talk to the owners of the breeds that interest you. Read up on the breed you like on the internet or buy books about the breed. Find out all you can about the characteristics of the breeds you like before making the decision. Find out what health problems different breeds may have. A lot of larger breeds have hip problems and breeders should be able to show the ‘hip scoring’ on their stock.

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, one of the most delightful breeds of dog also suffer from hip dysplasia and from Syringomyelia (SM) a disorder of the brain and spinal column.

Bulldogs suffer from breathing problems and this can cause them distress. Shar Pei’s regularly suffer from entropian, a condition where their eye lids turn in and the lashes turn into the eyeball, a painful condition which requires surgery to correct. Any rare breed will carry genetic problems because of the smallness of the gene pool so if you want a rare breed be prepared for health problems.

We do not want to put you off choosing a breed just to warn you to do your homework. on the breed you like.

By: Sarah James
Article Source: http://www.ArticleBiz.com

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: